Patient self-management and quality of life through education. Education training topics for patient self-management at home may include but is not limited to…
- How to begin exercise with shortness of breath
- Breathing exercises to help control shortness of breath
- The respiratory system
- How your lungs work
- What is Chronic Lung Disease (COPD)?
- Understanding your lung disease
- Understanding your breathing medicines, using gadgets
- Keeping your air passages clear
- Simplifying your daily activities, conserving your energy
- Understanding your lung health tests
- Your nutrition & lung disease
- Your health risks, staying healthy: What can you do?
- Stress, panic breathing and coping….relaxation techniques
- Emotional challenges of living with chronic lung disease
- Intimacy and Chronic Lung Disease
- Building your home exercise & strength training plan
- Aging and Chronic Lung Disease
- Advanced Directives, 911 and EMS
- Your community resources for Chronic Lung Disease
Patient self-management through support systems
Support for improved self-management and quality of life includes:
- Providing monthly/biweekly support groups meetings for Education, Peer and Healthcare Resource Support.
- Providing follow up after rehab for continued connection with Pulmonary Rehab as a healthcare resource to identify problem and aid in early interventions
- Providing access to local/community resources
- Providing an avenue for social connectiveness
Patient self-management through home exercise plan
Exercise training (strength, endurance, flexibility and balance) for improved self-management and quality of life includes:
- Providing Exercise training fundamentals that focus on strength and endurance equally with an approach that teaches and emphasizes tools to control dyspnea and fatigue.
- Approach is thoughtful and progressive, emphasiizing control using breathing techniques and pacing. Emphasis is on progressing to daily hoem exercise for life. Training includes pacing all exercise for dyspnea control and self-monitoring techniques for safety and independence at home.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Services is the Lung Health Wellness Program at Pen Bay Medical Center.
- Education Topics
These are questions we can help you answer and issues we can help you address.
- Goals and Benefits and Program Requirements
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a program, of education, exercise training and peer support to help patients with chronic lung disease control symptoms, become more active and have a better quality of life.
- Group Meeting Information
Join us the last Tuesday of every month for lung wellness topics, light refreshments and more.
- Our Mission
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program: A program for patients with lung disease at Pen Bay Medical Center's Betty Fisher Rehabilitation Center.
- Program Team
Our team is multi-disciplinary and consists of respiratory therapists, nurses, exercise specialists, dieticians, occupational and physical therapists and other healthcare professionals.
This service belongs to the following categories (click to expand):
This service is offered by the following organizations: