Learn about the PBMC Quilt,
created at the time of
Pen Bay Medical Center's
25th birthday. Click here.
In the fall of 1901, nine physicians, with the help of public subscription, purchased the ‘Fessenden-Stakpole Homestead’ on the corner of Maple and White streets in Rockland. For $3,000 they bought the house and equipped it as an 11-bed hospital. This was the beginning of the Knox County General Hospital.
In 1959 and 1969, extensive renovations and additions brought the number of beds up to 89. Also in 1969, officers from Camden Community Hospital and Knox County General Hospital formed the Penobscot Bay Medical Center Corporation.
Penobscot Bay Medical Center.
On Oct. 5, 1975, Penobscot Bay Medical Center opened its doors as a modern, 106-bed acute care facility. In June of the following year the former Knox County General Hospital began operations as the Knox Nursing Home, a 44-bed intermediate care facility. In August, 1976 the Physicians Building adjacent to PBMC was completed, providing office space near the hospital for PBMC physicians.
In 1982 Penobscot Bay Medical Center and Camden Health Care Center formed the Northeast Health System, since June 2006 called Pen Bay Healthcare. Since that time, Pen Bay Healthcare has grown to include Pen Bay Speech and Hearing, Kno-Wal-Lin Home Care & Hospice, Choice Skyward, and most recently, Mid-Coast Mental Health Services. Other services, such as the PBMC Child Care Center and Health Connections (an employee health service) have been added to our growing list of community service organizations and agencies.
In 1992, the 1919 section of the former Knox County General Hospital was demolished to make way for the new, state-of-the-art Knox Center for Long Term Care. In 1994 the boards of the various Northeast Health components united to become one governing board. Also in 1994, the newly constructed Psychiatric & Addictions Recovery Center (PARC) opened at PBMC.
In 2000, PBMC celebrated its 25th anniversary with a series of events and the unveiling of a quilt made by members of the hospital staff, trustees, and volunteers. The quilt hangs in the main corridor of the hospital. Meanwhile, extensive additions and renovations gave the hospital an entirely new face for the 21st Century.
In 2002, the Quarry Hill retirement community opened on the site of the former Camden Health Care Center. Convenient to intown Camden, Quarry Hill offers independent living amid the privacy of 26 landscaped acres, as well as services for assisted living, skilled nursing, rehabilitation and Alzheimer's care.
On Aug. 2, 2005, Pen Bay Healthcare and Mid-Coast Mental Health Center announced that after careful consideration, and determination of real benefit to our community and patients, the Boards of both organizations have approved the plan for MCMHC to be acquired by PBH.As the name change from Northeast Health to Pen Bay Healthcare in June 2006 indicates, change is constant as we grow to meet the needs of our community.
In 2010, MCMHC was acquired by MaineHealth in Portland.
In January 2011, Pen Bay Healthcare became a full member of MaineHealth and the hospital changed its name to Pen Bay Medical Center, uniting the organization under the well-recognized Pen Bay name.